Wednesday, September 7, 2011

frolicking in the rain


yesterday i took a day off from work, brought my camera and a nyc guide book pretending to be a tourist and wandered around in the village. at first i felt the non-stopped raining very bothersome and troublesome because my goal was to snap as many photo as i could and the rain just makes it harder to do so. but then everything seems worthwhile when i stumbled upon two kids frolicking in the rain and

a conspicuous foreigner who happened to take shelter from the rain at amy's bakery with me.
---

not all new yorkers are aloof, some are very hearty depending on which part of the city you are in. yesterday while i was wandering around like a tourist, two very friendly new yorkers asked me if i was looking anything specific or lost. i thanked the first woman with "no". minutes later, i encountered another friendly gentleman asking me if i was lost even in the heavy rain. i was indeed lost looking for the no. 75 1/2, new york's narrowest home. (maybe it's too narrow, i had passed it couple times and missed it. ha)
me: i am looking for this house (showing him my ny guide book)
gentleman: i don't have my glass. if you tell me where you want to go, i can show you the way.
me: i want to go to 75 1/2...
gentleman: oh, the narrowest house? it's right at the corner (pointing at the alley i'd walked pass a couple times)
me: oh, thank you!
gentleman: where are you from?
me: (hesitated for a second, because i almost forgot i was a tourist.)... (not showing what i replied here, because someone might think it's offended)

gentleman: welcome to new york!
i thanked him again as we parted.

No comments:

Post a Comment